Monday, June 09, 2008

For the sake of accountability

OpenOffice tells me I just put 688 words toward a new story. It's one that I have many pages of ideas on, but no actual story. Well, now it's 688 words of story. I'm pumped. It's so worth being frickin exhausted at work all day tomorrow.

But that's a boring entry, so I'll leave a little something called "Things I Would Say versus Things I Wish I Had the Stones to Say."

The Line: "Well, it's not that we don't want to let you work from home regularly to reduce your gas expenses, it's just that we need to think about the kind of precedent it will set with other employees and how to address it before we can move forward."
What I Would/Did Say: "I understand. There has to be a real reason for it, otherwise people might get upset and bitter."
What I Wish I Had the Stones to Say: "Your existing precedent is that you don't care about any of your employees until they try to quit, at which point you realize the company is doomed without them and agree to let them work from home. So, yeah, you need to figure out how to spin that so people don't mistakenly believe you have their best interests in mind."

Sorry there isn't really a punchline in there. People do this sort of thing all the time (obviously myself included), and it's interesting to see how two completely different characters can exist as pieces of the same mind. I guess I look at it as a lesson that creating unique voices isn't as difficult as it can seem at the outset, because sometimes all it takes is a different degree of restraint to make the leap from polite guy to mister road rage.

3 comments:

Elen Grey said...

First - congrats on those 688 words. Woo-hoo! Keep going!!

Second - thanks for the laugh. I really enjoyed your second POV. It's a good thing we don't always say what's on our minds. ;-) OTOH, when our characters do, it can make for some really good storytelling.

Keep working on that work-from-home thing. I'm thinking of hauling out my ancient 3-speed, throwing a big basket on the back and running errands that way. Of course, I just might be trading writer's butt for rider's butt. Probably better cardio with the latter. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the machine...

Surviving in corporate America is like living in a Pink Floyd song sometimes, n'est pas?

Don't even get me started on the last verse of "Wish you were here"...

Krista Heiser said...

Ditto on the congrats. 688 words is a wonderful start!