Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Variations on "The Blank Page"

Anyone who has ever attempted to maintain a regular writing schedule has written and expounded on the following sentence:
I'm sitting at my desk, staring at the blank computer screen, wishing I could think of something to write.
It's a good standby because it inevitably leads to something, even if that something is just "more writing." I've seen introspective pieces about writer's block, fantastic alien abduction stories, and bizarre stream-of-consciousness....experiments. Complaining about being unable to write can lead to wonderful places.

Unfortunately, complaining about not having time to write just leads to procrastination. Maybe. I guess my complaining has all been verbal, rather than written, which is undoubtedly the problem. Here are some interesting facts about my activities in the last month or so:
  • Close to 100 hours of Pokemon
  • Probably 20 hours of Lego Star Wars
  • Watching assorted movies and TV shows on an almost nightly basis
  • Complaining about how I never write, never exercise, and never read (for recreation or for learning)
Yeah, I really don't have time to write. I just have time to screw around and let my dreams die. It requires a whole lot less effort, anyway.

My main problem, really, is that I don't make the effort at home. Instead, I try to write while I'm at work (like I am now, actually). I start a new post and stare at the empty text field. Then someone says something funny, and I get distracted. Then I eat food. Then I work and try to cram thoughts in while queries are running. It's not the right environment. So I sit here, not knowing what to write, with an empty text field in front of me, cursor blinking like a silent metronome of judgment.... and so on. And look where it has led! There are words.

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Jeremy is having very similar problems. Very smart and creative and would succeed at all his "productive" ideas if he would only make the time for them. Basically I think we are just going to have to set up an hour block, where despite wanting to go do this or that, we work on our projects. And make it the same time everyday so that it becomes a routine. Hopefully it will expand to dedicating more time -- but there will always at least be that hour block.

And maybe convince some other people to do the same during the same time, that way we can say "At least so and so isn't playing video games right now either." ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey dude, what system do you play Lego Star Wars? Is it any good?

Matt S said...

Having other people being productive at the same time is a huge motivator. A few years ago I was trying to have a "writing hour," during which my mother and I would each write, and then I'd go check in on her. She lasted a day :) I eventually fizzled.

Since you were kind enough to volunteer, you should pick an hour block for everyone to be productive in ;)

Matt S said...

I play Lego Star Wars on the PS3, and it totally rocks. My wife and I have been hunting all of the collectibles this week.

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to set up an hour block to work on my procrastinating skills but I keep putting it off....

Anonymous said...

C'mon, you KNEW someone was gonna go there..... ;)

Elen Grey said...

Writer Man - You know what you have to do. Even if you cut that Pokemon and Lego Star Wars in half, you've got some writing time. Slash one TV program and you've got your exercise. ;-) I mean, you put it right on the page yourself. lol

My experience has been - the less I write, the less I write. ;-)

Some of my writer friends use a timer. They start with 15 mins., then keep pushing up the number.

Maybe you're more creative in the morning, or late at night. Try to find the optimum time for yourself. If there isn't one, just pick a time and own it.

Go. Write.

Pom-poms waving. How am I doing? Feel free to send this back to me when I'm having a Fail day. :-)

Much cheer. Elen

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've expounded on that sentence, written about it maybe. My problem is deciding what to write about from the list of things that lays before me. Not having a TV is helpful in reducing the number of distractions available to me in the course of a given day.
~Loven

Krista Heiser said...

I must admit I'm right there with you when it comes to finding creative ways to pass the free hours of my day. My distractions usually involve reading, scrapbooking, Final Fantasy XII, or hours and hours of TIVOed television programming.