Thursday, June 12, 2008

Writing for Marketing

I wrote marketing copy at my company for a while. It was kind of off and on, and they recently hired someone else who is going to be taking over (thankfully). A more scholarly person would draw comparisons between writing fiction and writing to sell stuff, but all I have to say is that in both cases you are making stuff up.

The experience was kind of eye-opening for me. At first I was excited about learning a new technique, and how to think from a different perspective. But it got old. Especially when I was writing glowing praises for a piece of software that is as bugged as the Nixon-era White House. Most especially when I learned that a customer had already been using said software for over a year.

The boss man is a smart guy. He knows stuff. He also has a tendency to assume his employees know nothing, so meetings with him last forever. In those meetings, he spent a lot of time talking about how placing restraints on the creative process allows for more potent creativity from the writer -- something I have long believed, on account of everything I've read and written. But he also wanted to come up with a Detailed Marketing Copy Writing and Editing Super Good Stuff Process so that a person with no knowledge of our software could write the same calibur marketing documents that I could (note: I'm involved in design and testing, so I know our software pretty well). This is where I start to smell something funny.

I'm going to assume that anyone reading this is somewhat familiar with the hero's journey. I think it's a wonderful outline for an epic tale. However, I think it takes more than just that outline to craft a good story. A writer needs to approach the hero's journey with unique characters, different settings, and an assortment of devices to set it apart from every other hero's journey. So why not create a more specific hero's journey template? It could include all of the stock characters you need, all of the locations, and even the conversations that need to happen. Excellent! What happens after someone writes that story? Do we just keep writing the same one over and over, and just change the names?

That was pretty much what my experience with marketing copy was, only I spent far, far more time creating outlines and templates for writing pieces than I did actually writing them. It was ridiculous.

And the boss actually made a comment at one point about how marketing writing was useful, unlike fiction or something you write "for yourself." Sure thing. Deception in the name of filling someone else's pockets. I'm not sure how that's useful, since people will be pretty pissed off when our programs crash and halt their productivity.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Writing for yourself is much more rewarding. If someone can relate to your story, understand where your mind adventured to, it is amazing. Writing for profit is from the brain, not the soul.

Anonymous said...

Writing with a template??? How Stephen King can you get? Oh wait, maybe that was Dean Koontz? (ha!) Has to be way more fun than writing operator instruction sheets for manufacturing! (oh joy!)

Matt S said...

Being that I'm a(n admittedly out of touch) Stephen King fan, and that I've never read anything by Dean Koontz, I'm going to have to say, "Probably Dean Koontz" :)

I think any form of writing is probably fun the first time. There's something about the challenge of stepping outside your typical style and mindset that sharpens you in ways that maintaining the status quo just won't do. I definitely agree that writing for yourself* is far more rewarding, though. It's like raising a kitten, where the corporate writing is like dropping one of those expanding foam thingies in a bowl of warm water.

*I would still maintain that "writing for yourself" is still (generally) "writing for others" if the end goal is something other people will read. Perhaps the phrase, "writing from yourself" is closer to how I see it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, didin't mean to slam the King, it just seemed like he was in a rut when he did Tommyknockers (and a couple others from around that timeframe that slipped my mind). The first (and last) 3 books I read from Koontz all read like the same book (a la the "hero" template you alluded to). Love the expanding foam analogy, it's like that some days (I actually laughed out loud at that). "From" definitely makes the grade vs. for IMHO, I know that I want people to see my "work" (in my case it's actually more of a hearing thing - the stuff I write from myself that is).

Matt S said...

Oh, I'm not offended at all. No one hits home runs all the time. I'm just good at blocking out bad books I've read :)